All you want to know is here!
Professional tax registration is a mandatory requirement for individuals and businesses engaged in professions, trades, or employment in Maharashtra. Governed by the Maharashtra State Tax on Professions, Trades, Callings, and Employments Act, this tax is levied on income earned by professionals and entities operating within the state. The registration process has been streamlined to facilitate easy compliance and ensure that taxpayers fulfill their legal obligations efficiently.
I. Understanding Professional Tax in Maharashtra
Professional tax is a state-level tax imposed by the government of Maharashtra. It is applicable to all individuals and entities engaged in professions, trades, and employments. The tax rates and slabs are defined by the state government and are subject to periodic revisions.
II. Who Needs to Register for Professional Tax in Maharashtra?
Individuals: Professionals such as doctors, lawyers, consultants, and others earning an income through their practice are liable to pay professional tax.
Businesses: Employers operating within Maharashtra are required to deduct professional tax from the salaries of their employees and remit it to the government. Additionally, businesses are also required to pay professional tax based on their turnover.
III. Maharashtra Professional Tax Online Registration Process
1. Pre-requisites for Registration:
Valid Email Address: A functional email address is necessary for communication purposes.
PAN Number: PAN (Permanent Account Number) is mandatory for registration.
Details of the Business: For businesses, information such as the name of the business, address, nature of business, and other relevant details are required.
Employee Details: Businesses need details of their employees, including their names, addresses, PAN numbers, salary details, and designation.
2. Visit the Maharashtra Professional Tax Department Website: Go to the official website of the Maharashtra Professional Tax Department.
3. Create an Account: If you are a new user, create an account on the website. Provide your email address, create a password, and complete the registration process.
4. Fill in the Application Form: Log in to your account and fill in the professional tax registration application form. Provide accurate information about yourself or your business, as applicable. Upload the necessary documents, including PAN card, address proof, and employee details if you are registering as a business.
5. Verification and Approval: The Professional Tax Department will verify the information provided in the application. Once the verification is successful, your professional tax registration will be approved, and you will be issued a Certificate of Registration.
IV. Documents Required for Maharashtra Professional Tax Online Registration
The documents required for professional tax registration in Maharashtra may vary based on whether you are an individual or a business entity. Generally, the following documents are needed:
- PAN Card
- Address Proof (Aadhar Card, Passport, Voter ID, etc.)
- Passport-sized Photograph
- Proof of Profession (Professional Certificate, if applicable)
- PAN Card of the Business
- Address Proof of the Business (Electricity Bill, Rental Agreement, etc.)
- List of Employees (including their names, addresses, PAN numbers, and salary details)
- Passport-sized Photograph of the Proprietor/Partners/Directors
- Proof of Incorporation (Certificate of Incorporation, Memorandum of Association, etc., for companies)
V. Benefits of Online Registration:
Convenience: Online registration offers the convenience of applying for professional tax from anywhere with an internet connection, eliminating the need to visit government offices in person.
Time-Saving: The online process is usually quicker, allowing applicants to fill out the necessary details and submit documents promptly, saving time for both individuals and businesses.
Real-time Tracking: Applicants can track the status of their registration application in real-time. This transparency provides peace of mind, knowing the progress of the application.
Reduced Paperwork: Online registration minimizes the paperwork involved in the process. Documents can be uploaded electronically, reducing the hassle of physical documentation.
Immediate Confirmation: Once the application is approved, applicants receive a digital Certificate of Registration immediately. This allows for faster commencement of tax compliance.
VI. Responsibilities After Registration:
After successful registration for professional tax in Maharashtra, individuals and businesses have several responsibilities to fulfill:
Monthly Payments: Individuals and businesses must calculate the professional tax based on the applicable slabs and pay it monthly to the government. Timely payments are essential to avoid penalties.
Filing Returns: Regular filing of professional tax returns is mandatory. Businesses need to provide details of their employees, including salaries, and file returns within the specified deadlines.
Updating Information: If there are changes in the business structure, such as adding or removing partners or directors, or changes in the employee details, it is the responsibility of the business to update this information with the Professional Tax Department.
Compliance with Notices: Respond promptly to any notices or communications from the Professional Tax Department. Failure to do so may lead to legal consequences.
Why You Choose Auriga Accounting for Professional tax services ?
- Online Filing Services: Auriga Accounting Providing online platforms for easy and convenient professional tax filings.
- Tax Advisory Services: Auriga Accounting Offering expert advice on professional tax matters, including changes in tax laws and regulations.
- Penalty Resolution: Auriga Assisting businesses and individuals in resolving penalties related to professional tax non-compliance.
- Tax Dispute Resolution: Auriga Accounting Providing support in resolving disputes with tax authorities regarding professional tax matters.
- Tax Refund Assistance: Auriga Helping eligible entities claim refunds for overpaid professional tax.